ENVIRONMENT DESIGN [ PROJECT 2 ]
14.06.26 - 13.07.26 / Week 8 - Week 13
Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media / Environment Design / Taylor's University
Project 2
OUTLINE
Instruction
Feedback
- WEEK 9
- WEEK 10
- WEEK 11
- WEEk 12
- WEEK 13
- WEEK 9
- WEEK 10
- WEEK 11
- WEEk 12
- WEEK 13
Reflection
INSTRUCTION
Module Information Booklet (MIB) of Environment Design
<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tDLOrZ9T9MvCvFtQ21uOmm46bMDO90vO/preview" width="640" height="480"></iframe>
Project 2
Project 2 focused on designing the interior of the building. I decided to begin with two locations: the library and the main hall. I selected images that suited my idea and seemed useful as references, organised them into moodboards, and then drew compositions based on them.
![]() |
| Fig. 1.1 Moodboard of Interior |
![]() |
| Fig. 1.2 Process 1 (Week 9 / 21.6.2026) |
I produced only around three drawings. I refined the composition with the large, clearly visible window, which I had drawn previously, so that it would fit the required size. I developed the remaining compositions based on the moodboard. However, as has happened several times, I forgot to capture parts of the process and was unable to document them.
![]() |
| Fig. 1.3 Process 2 (Week 9 / 21.6.2026) |
Fortunately, after that, I remembered to capture the process of adding the chandelier and filling the library interior through photobashing. Since the overall image had not yet been firmly decided, I could not develop the interior in detail. However, I wanted the space to convey a sense of astronomy and theology.
![]() |
| Fig. 1.4 Process 3 (Week 9 / 21.6.2026) |
![]() |
| Fig. 1.5 Composition 1 (Week 9 / 21.6.2026) |
Next, I sketched designs for props that could be placed in the interior. I reused the moodboard I had already selected for another project and collected several additional moodboards to explore a wider range of designs.
![]() |
| Fig. 1.6 Moodboard of Props 1 (Week 9 / 21.6.2026) |
![]() |
| Fig. 1.7 Moodboard of Props 2 (Week 9 / 21.6.2026) |
I retained a few props from Project 1 that could be used inside the building and considered several additional objects. The first object that came to mind was a telescope. Since I had already collected telescope references, I developed the design from those images. Astronomy and scholars also made me think of objects such as clocks and compasses. I wanted to adapt the compass to suit my concept and give it the appearance of a constellation compass.
![]() |
| Fig. 1.8 Process 4 (Week 9 / 21.6.2026) |
Next, I drew astronomy-related objects such as an armillary sphere and created a chart board for recording or displaying constellations. I also considered a chandelier because I wanted to decorate the interior and create an elegant Renaissance atmosphere. Starting from this idea, I also designed lamps, candles, and candlesticks.
![]() |
| Fig. 1.9 Process 5 (Week 9 / 21.6.2026) |
![]() |
| Fig. 1.10 Process 6 (Week 9 / 21.6.2026) |
One of the most important elements was the banner because it was simple but could clearly communicate my intended concept depending on the emblem placed on it. I used astronomy-related motifs such as stars, moons, and halos. I also wanted to explore several furniture designs, but I was only able to design a chair. I included star motifs in the chair to strengthen the astronomical theme.
![]() |
| Fig. 1.11 Process 7 (Week 9 / 21.6.2026) |
![]() |
| Fig. 1.12 Props sketch (Week 9 / 21.6.2026) |
After receiving feedback, I strongly felt that I needed to create a 3D base first because the interior contained many complex elements. However, Blender produced errors or did not work properly in certain areas, so the process took some time. Since elements such as tables, chairs, and books were the most complex and urgent, I worked on them first.
![]() |
| Fig. 1.13 Process 8 (Week 10 / 22.6.2026) |
![]() |
| Fig. 1.14 Blender 3D (Week 10 / 22.6.2026) |
After creating a 3D base, I drew a composition showing the library interior, which was one of my selected locations. For some reason, I initially wanted to try drawing it without looking at the 3D model. However, this was difficult, and the perspective seemed to break down, so I later drew directly over the 3D base. I think using light to establish the atmosphere and highlights to emphasise important areas is always the approach I enjoy most.
![]() |
| Fig. 1.15 Process 8 (Week 10 / 28.6.2026) |
![]() |
| Fig. 1.16 Composition (Week 10 / 28.6.2026) |
I identified five locations that I wanted to draw: the library, dormitory, kitchen, Observatory Dome, and grand hall. I wanted to draw all of them, but honestly, I did not think I would be able to complete every location. Nevertheless, I still wanted to imagine what each space might look like, so I collected moodboards for all of them.
![]() |
| Fig. 1.17 Moodboard of each building's interior (Week 11 / 29.6.2026) |
I remember completing these parts in considerable haste. Since my progress had been very slow, I needed to work quickly, but honestly, I still could not increase my speed. Even so, I continued working through the required tasks. The next step was to add colour to the composition.
![]() |
| Fig. 1.18 Process 9 (Week 11 / 5.7.2026) |
To suit my concept, I did not want to use colours that were too loud or overly bright. I thought the colours I had previously used for the carriage in Vehicle and Props Design might suit the concept best, so I applied them to the building as a reference. White, gold, and blue became the building’s main colours, and I thought the combination worked reasonably well.
![]() |
| Fig. 1.19 Process 10 (Week 11 / 5.7.2026) |
Next, I drew the floor plan and tried to develop the remaining locations. However, I could not achieve the image I had imagined for the Observatory Dome, and I was unsure whether the design made functional sense. Therefore, I decided to keep that composition aside while it was still in progress. I felt it was too early to include it in the final Project 2 submission.
![]() |
| Fig. 1.20 Process 11 (Week 11 / 5.7.2026) |
As shown in Figures 1.20 and 1.21, I then drew two other locations. Figure 1.20 was a simple drawing of the dormitory. When I created the 3D base for the library in Figure 1.13, I also made a basic dormitory base. This allowed me to draw the bed area according to the base, although I was not able to develop every detail.
However, I had not yet made a 3D base for the kitchen, so I drew much of the idea from the moodboard images. Both locations remained rough sketches, so I cannot say that they fully communicated all of my ideas.
![]() |
| Fig. 1.21 Process 12 (Week 11 / 5.7.2026) |
![]() |
| Fig. 1.22 Project 2 sketch (Week 11 / 5.7.2026) |
As the submission date approached, I decided to add more detailed furniture elements in 3D. I had less time than expected and was also experiencing discomfort in my eyes, but I thought that adding even a small amount of detail would be better than leaving it undone.
![]() |
| Fig. 1.23 Process 13 (Week 12 / 12.7.2026) |
![]() |
| Fig. 1.24 Process 14 (Week 12 / 12.7.2026) |
Following the feedback, I added banners to the interior composition. I had already completed sketches for several interior props, and I was not sure why I had not included some of them in the scene. After adding props and making a few adjustments to the composition, I drew the floor design separately because the lighting and ambience made it difficult to see. I also created another interior drawing to show the inside of the building more clearly.
![]() |
| Fig. 1.25 Process 15 (Week 13 / 13.7.2026) |
Final Project 2: Interior and Set Design
FEEDBACK
WEEK 9
Specific Feedback:
- Use the existing camera angle and architectural structure, and incorporate the glass element to establish a clear direction of light. Move the overhead structure slightly higher to create more space around the focal point and clearly define the main subject.
- Fill the empty areas with appropriate characters, architectural features or sculptural elements. Add tables, books, a librarian and researchers to communicate the function of the library and make the research activity more visible.
- Design a ladder or staircase to provide access to the higher bookshelves and develop a clear circulation route around the upper structures. Place bookshelves on both sides while maintaining the existing perspective, and ensure that all supporting elements direct attention towards the main subject.
General Feedback: Focus not only on producing a well-rendered or visually appealing composition, but also on communicating a clear story through the environment. Storytelling is particularly important in interior scenes, where the layout, props and signs of human activity should explain who uses the space and what is happening within it, although the same principle should also be applied to exterior scenes.
WEEK 10
Specific Feedback: Increase the pace of development. The interior prop designs have been explored, but produce more breakdowns and composition studies to develop the environment further.
General Feedback: Begin with a basic 3D blockout and draw over it to simplify the composition process. This can help establish the perspective and spatial arrangement more efficiently while increasing the overall speed of the workflow.
WEEK 11
Specific Feedback: Retain the existing 3D base, but develop the narrative further. Introduce clear gaps or separations within the arched structure instead of treating it as one continuous form, present the 3D blockout from multiple camera angles, and include a separate sectional slice or breakdown to explain the spatial construction more clearly.
General Feedback: Communicate a stronger story through the environment. If the setting represents a particular culture, make it visible through the textures, patterns, furniture and props. Consider what types of furniture and environmental details can reveal the identity, function and culture of the space rather than relying only on the overall architectural form.
WEEK 12
Specific Feedback: Present the artwork at a larger scale so that the details can be seen clearly. Although colour has been introduced and the artwork is close to completion, the narrative still needs further development. Add storytelling elements such as banners, announcements, symbols and environmental details to communicate what is happening within the space. The overall base has already been established, so begin refining the design and breaking the library down into individual assets to plan how each element will be developed.
General Feedback: Prioritise the concept above everything else. Establish basic 3D environments for both the interior and exterior, explore the available possibilities, and then decide which direction should be developed into the final artwork.
WEEK 13
Specific Feedback: Break the environment into smaller modular components rather than texturing the entire model in one go. Work on each component separately to make the texturing process easier and more manageable.
General Feedback: Remember the assignment instructions once they have been explained and apply them consistently. Avoid making the lecturer repeat the same guidance.
REFLECTION
Experience
Project 2 required me to develop the interior and set design of the astronomical monastery established in Project 1. I began with moodboards and composition sketches before exploring props, furniture, and five possible interior locations. Since the interiors contained many complex elements and required accurate perspective, I created 3D blockouts in Blender before developing the lighting, colours, and environmental details. Although my progress was slower than planned and I could not complete every location to the same level, I developed the library as the main composition and produced supporting designs for the other spaces.
Observations
I observed that the environment became more convincing when the architectural structure, props, and signs of human activity worked together. The 3D base helped me maintain the perspective and organise the space, while elements such as banners, books, furniture, and astronomical objects communicated the building’s function and culture more clearly. However, I initially focused more on atmosphere and attractive lighting than on storytelling. I also did not consistently capture every stage of the process, and beginning the 3D development and asset breakdown later than planned reduced the time available for refinement.
Findings
I learned that an interior should be planned as a system of spaces and modular assets rather than only as a single finished composition. In future projects, I should establish the 3D blockout, floor plan, camera angles, and list of required props at an earlier stage. I should then develop the most important location in greater depth before expanding to additional spaces. I also need to document each stage consistently and reserve enough time to test the functionality, storytelling details, lighting, and textures before the final submission.
QUICK LINKS
Projects

.png)





.png)











.png)

.png)


.png)

Comments
Post a Comment